There’s nothing better on a cold, windy January evening than getting home and remembering that the slow cooker has been on all day and your dinner is ready…
…Who am I kidding, like I’d forget! I was counting the hours yesterday until I could get home and tuck into this slimming world chilli con carne. And it didn’t disappoint!
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you could just let it simmer very gently for an hour or two in a pan.
Syns on Extra Easy: 1.5 per serving
Ingredients – for four people
500g extra lean mince (must be less than 5% fat)
1 x onion, diced
1 x red pepper, diced
1 x tsp smoked paprika
Half x tsp dried red chillies
1 x tsp ground cumin
2 x tsp hot chilli powder
1 x tbsp plain flour
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans
150ml beef stock
1 x tbsp. dark muscovado sugar
Potatoes or rice to serve (in the photo, I’ve made slimming world potato wedges)
How to make it
- Fry the mince using a little fry light, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. At this point, I remove it from the pan and put it into a bowl, using a slotted spoon so as to get rid of any excess fat.
- Give the frying pan a quick rinse, again to get rid of any fat, then fry the onion, pepper, paprika, chillies, chilli powder and cumin. Cook for about two minutes then stir in the flour.
- Mix in the tomatoes, kidney beans, stock and sugar, season with salt and pepper and pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover it with the lid and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Once the cooking time is nearly over, prepare rice or slimming world chips.
- Serve and devour.